Well holy throwback to this wonderful birthday last year when I finally became a real adult (I’m laughing in my head as I type that because in actuality I’m still the 5 year old who loves Disney and wearing bright colors while pretending I’m a princess). I am so excited to hit that next milestone and become 21 YEARS OLD WHAT THE ACTUAL HECK?!? I decided that as my last day of being 20 should involve a blog post with 21 snippets of knowledge I have learned so far in my 21 years of life. I know so many people have encouraged, inspired, and taught me so much over the years and I am so thankful for each person God has placed in my life to help guide me. So let the knowledge sharing begin!
- Your grades do not define your identity.
- Even if you think everyone is staring at you (i.e. you think your outfit is terrible or that zit on your face is the size of mars), no one is judging you as much as you think they are.
- Quiet time with Jesus is one the most important parts of your day.
- Along with #3, you will become drained if you are constantly pouring out to people but are not having a source pouring back into you. Go to the church service, get coffee with a friend, but make sure you find some way to hear from God.
- When in doubt, buy the coffee or the shirt because you deserve it.
- Always say yes to time with friends or family (you don’t know how long they will be around).
- Also on that note, you are not as busy as you think (especially if you use your time wisely).
- Put your phone down when spending time with people in general. There is nothing more important than actually paying attention to someone (even that cute puppy picture).
- Your mom will be your best friend and will always pick up the phone (sorry Mom for waking you up from so many naps).
- Car rides with the windows down and your favorite songs playing while you and your friends sing along can be some of the best medicine. So can lighting candles and plugging in twinkle lights.
- Take pictures. Don’t only take them to get that good profile pic but take them so you can look back 50 years from now and remember that special day you had with your besties.
- Take time to invest in people. Relationships are a two way street so sometimes you will have to put yourself out there too.
- Netflix binge times have their time and place. Yes you are allowed to be lazy but if you have watched 6 hours of Netflix but haven’t done your homework for the next day then you have a problem.
- Have high expectations for yourself (but also don’t label yourself a failure if you can’t meet them).
- Don’t feel guilty for eating the cookie and not going to the gym.
- Complain less. Don’t use the excuse that you are busy or tired when someone asks how you are (I am still guilty of this).
- Don’t compare yourself to other people. God created you as your own person and He has a reason He created you the way He did.
- Try new things, especially if you know you will never have the chance to do them again.
- Practice gratitude. Make a list of things that make you happy. Make a playlist that makes you happy. Pray daily.
- Find something you are passionate about and learn everything you can about it.
- Be confident in your decisions. God has a plan for you and you cannot dramatically alter that. Side note to that, the place you pick for dinner is not the most important decision of your life so just pick one and stick with it (guilty as I am the worst decision maker ever).
So those are 21 of the things I feel I have learned so far in my life. I have learned so many more things than that but these have definitely influenced me. Let me know if there are any life lessons that have guided you in your life. Thanks for reading and I’ll see you again Wednesday!